Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Modern Technology from a Medieval Castle
















I'm typing on my computer in Harburg Castle, an 800 year old complex!! We arrived here this morning at 9:00 AM and checked-in. We met our new friend Siegfried Schuster out front and then had a tour of the grounds. Now, you have heard of the "small world" thingy, well, this one is an extremely small world. I kept looking at this woman on the tour and I said to Jim she looks just like the mail lady from our house in Waterford, Michigan. And I thought to myself there is no way it could be her. Then, I looked at her jacket and it said U.S. Postal Service!!! It was her!!!--can't remember her name. All the way from Michigan to a small castle town in Germany--would would have thought???? She is in Germany to attend a nephew's confirmation. Anyway, the castle is an amazing place--to think this was constructed so long ago and is still being used. Our hotel room is in the turret portion of the castle and is very modern. We left here about 10:00 in Siegfried's car and traveled to Rain where we had lunch and walked around the town. The city is hosting a flower show which starts on Friday in their big city park. The sponsor of the show is Dehner Nurseries--a gigantic company that sells amazing flowers. We walked through the park and then we were back on the road to Donaworth to look at several churches--each very unique from the rest and OLD!

We are pooped! Siegfried will be back at 9:00 in the morning to takes us to Nordlingen, a walled Medieval town on the Romantic Road. We will be traveling north on the Road late tomorrow afternoon in search of our next hotel.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about Divine Appointments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for noticing me. You looked familiar to me as well, but you weren't standing in front of your house or walking your dog so I hadn't a clue. I made it home safe and sound as I hope the two of you. Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Capanna Hotel

Capanna Hotel
Where I work